Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My Thoughts of Races Back Then

It's official... I'll be having two firsts this coming Sunday, July 5, 2009. It will be my first full marathon (42.195kms) and my first MILO run.

As I was told that the route will be the same as last years route, looking at the map somehow brought back childhood memories.

You see, I was born and raised in Baclaran, Paranaque City. In a street named A.Guarra.

A.Guarra, also called Hangganan as it serves as the borderline to Pasay and Paranaque. That is the street where the Max's Baclaran is, and it's very near to The Redemptorist Chruch. Just in case your having problems trying to think, "where the heck is that place???".

Every Sunday, during the late 70's and early 80's when running had its first boom. I always see people running the stretch of Roxas Blvd (I call it Dewey Blvd back then).

But what got stuck in my mind was the race where I saw a lot of MILO banners, flags, water cups...

Back then, I thought that every race was a MILO race.

Back then, I thought that Botak only makes the singlets.

Back then, I thought runners get invites or paid just to run. Perhaps some do get invited and get paid just to run. I'm not still sure though.

Back then, I mock those runners.

Back then, deep inside... I want to join them...

Back then, when I was still in elementary... just for the heck of it... I walked from Baclaran to Luneta and back with my friends.

But this Sunday...

There will be a lot of MILO banners, flags, water cups...

Some other kid will be watching us running the stretch of Roxas Blvd.

Some other kid will think that every race is a MILO race.

Some other kid will think that we runners get invited / paid just to run.

Some other kid will mock us runners.

Some other kid... deep inside him would want to join us.

10 comments:

  1. Rod, what a great post! When I was at a young age, I always wondered why runners ran around a track in circles? Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was then. And come july 5, history will be revealed, stories will be told, and the young kid then will test the waters. Good luck Rod, I hope to share the road with you on sunday.

    See you then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Rod, lovely piece of work. It will be a pleasure to run along with you on our maiden marathon. Like you, I will be relying on pleasant memories to see me through. God bless us all, most specially this Sunday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this one. Good luck, Rod, Hope to meet you on Sunday.
    -Xty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post Rod! Nostalgic! :)

    Bawal umiyak ha!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww...you almost made me cry...ALMOST :P nice post :) poignant and nostalgic...galingan mo sa linggo ha! sabi mo para sa amin ni marga yang takbo mong yan! :D hehehe! seriously, though, good luck, have a great run! we'll be there to see you through! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. and another kid of almost your age will run his 1st half mary in his 1st milo event, who also thought of the same things about running, which he thought was crazy too =)

    KAYA NATIN 'YAN!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WAYNE
    thanks! my childhood memory of a track race is of different kind. my dad use to have a jockey friend. and he would always ask my dad to come and watch the horse races. i did wonder why the horses run in circles. =)

    VENER
    yes! history will be revealed this sunday!
    see you at the finish line, idol! =)

    RICO
    that will be our moment, idol. specially us, the first timers. see you on sunday.

    XTY
    thanks, boss! hope to meet you on sunday!

    DOC ERIC
    *sniff* hehehehe

    DOC IRIS
    gagalingan ko... promise!
    hala! nag-promise ulit ako! nyahahahaha

    JET
    korek, bro! =) see you on sunday!
    good luck sa atin lahat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. bro! :) tandaan mo, i'll be there for you! (last 10K okay?) hehehe :) ayot? APIR!

    happy tots!

    ReplyDelete

Ehem...